At Caldwell Physical Therapy, we utilize a variety of tools to help determine if you are ready to return to competition. The Y-Balance Test and the Functional Movement Screen measures a person's motor control and functional symmetry. The results from these tests are useful supplement that allow the therapists to create the patient's road map to help eliminate weaknesses or mobility issues and prevent future injuries, and get you back in the game!
FMS (FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT SCREENING)
- FMS is a ranking and grading system that documents movement patterns that are key to normal function.
- FMS identifies functional limitations and asymmetries.
- The FMS generates an objective score, which is used to target problems and track progress. This scoring system is directly linked to the most beneficial corrective exercises to restore mechanically sound movement patterns and avoid compensations.
- As healthcare professionals, we can measure progress and identify exercises that will be most effective to restore proper movement and build strength in each individual.
ACL (ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGMANT) TESTING
- Through video screening, video analysis and variety of tests, risk of knee injury is assessed – specifically the Anterior Cruciate Ligament.
- Slow motion video allows detailed gait analysis and correction.
- Tests balance, or the ability to maintain a base of support with minimal movement, while completing a variety of tasks. The ability to maintain balance is especially important for athletes who encounter unpredictable external forces – as it allows the athlete to incorporate greater skill and help avoid injuries.
- Measures dynamic balance and detect asymmetry between the right and left limbs.
- The test has a significant correlation with the strength of the hamstrings and the hip abductor musculature.
JUMP TRAINING / ACL PREVENTION PROGRAM
Goals of the jump training program:
- A safe set of drills to progress from training to competition
- Condition the musculature surrounding the knee to help prevent injury due to the high force of jumping and landing during physical activity or competition
- Pain-free jumping with safe and proper technique
- Improve athletic performance